Re: repository service for institutions

This BMC press release puts me in mind of the fact that several publishers
are now marketing IR software and storage space to libraries.  The idea is
that instead of having to build their own IRs, libraries can use the
services of vendors for this.  The vendors could license only their
software platforms or software plus hosting.  The fee structures we've
heard about are not unreasonable.  Some of those entering the marketplace
have been ProQuest (marketing for Berkeley Electronic Press) and ebrary.
Cornell, as developer of Project Euclid (mathematical journals online) is
going to make its software available as open source, and it too will have
a great deal of format versatility and can operate as part of the IR
environment.

Anyone out there in liblicense-l land have some first-hand experience of
these off-the-shelf type IR products?  What do you think of them.  What
others are available?  What will it take for them to succeed, do you
think?  Ann Okerson/Yale Library

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Liblicense-L Listowner wrote:

> PRESS RELEASE: 13 September 2004
>
> BioMed Central launches repository service for institutions
>
> BioMed Central, the Open Access Publisher, today launched a repository
> service for universities and research institutions. Open Repository has
> been conceived in direct response to demand in the market.

[SNIP]

> Open Repository offers a number of different levels of service, to fit
> with a university or institution's requirements. For a one-off set-up
> fee, BioMed Central will build the repository with open source software
> D-Space, with complete customization to the customer's requirements.
> Repositories built under the scheme will be able to accept a wide
> variety of publication types. It is then up to the institution whether
> they wish BioMed Central to host and run the repository or to transfer
> operation and maintenance to themselves. The institution remains the
> owner of the repository.
>
> For an annual fee, BioMed Central offers to maintain the repository and
> guarantee ongoing customer support. BioMed Central's Open Repository
> service will include converting articles to PDF and XML. Advanced search
> functionality will be a part of the service, as will links to and from
> databases, for example PubMed, and via CrossRef to the body of scientific
> literature.

[SNIP]

####