Re: Open Access outside the U.S/U.K.

hi Ann - I'd like to think SFU is typical, but in practice I think SFU is
far more globally-minded than the average university.  My profs at the
University of Alberta were pointing out, in the 70's, that the
international journals (meaning non-North America, non-European),
especially the foreign language journals, were the ones that were being
cut.

Just to clarify:  I didn't mean to say that libraries in Europe or North
America deliberately targeted journals from outside these areas.  It's
just that the careful cost-cutting measures you've described would,
unfortunately, tend to have this effect.  For example, if cost-cutting is
based on usage, it is quite likely that foreign language journals will be
cut, as fewer people read them. It is also likely that journals focused on
non-local issues (for example, library association journals produced by
library associations in other countries) would tend to be cut first, for
the same reason.

For Canadian libraries, it is essential to be able to access both Canadian
indexing and journals.  Perhaps this has protected these journals from
being cancelled by Canadian libraries?  Given decreasing purchasing power
and a need to protect one's own publications, does this not suggest that
more international journals will be cancelled?

The only antidote to these tendencies that I can see, is for libraries to
base their purchasing decisions on a policy basis.  For example, libraries
in the 70's could have said, "We must ensure that our cost-cutting
measures do not disadvantage publishers in the third world", and acted
accordingly.  Is there any evidence that that happened?

cheers,

Heather