RE: Linking publication with career

By the way, Amazon has been bad about advertising titles' availability and
when you order them, they don't have them. I haven't had any problems but
then I've been ordering current titles that are more popular.

"David Goodman" <David.Goodman@liu.edu>@lists.yale.edu on 08/22/2004
09:37:22 PM
Subject:    RE: Linking publication with career

Not so fast, Joe.

Considering an article as being good because published in a particular
journal, merely means being published in a journal where other good
articles are published.  Which journals it is that are best changes from
decade to decade. JACS or Physical review were not the most prestigious
journals in their fields in 1930, and the journals that were the most
important then have long ago merged or changed.  The nature of the
publisher doesnt matter either, nor how it is published, sold, or
distributed. It's the mutually supporting effect of the good authors who
send their papers there.

It would work just as well if the "journals" were lists of particularly
meritorious postings in a field. There are many examples: the Nobel
prizes, the Pulitzer prizes, etc.

Dr. David Goodman
dgoodman@liu.edu