Duke University Press Journals on Project Muse

August 19, 2004
For more information, contact:
Donna Blagdan, edukecollection@dukeupress.edu
http://www.dukeupress.edu/edukecollection

Duke University Press announces changes in its Project Muse offerings
and introduces a new electronic journals package

With the commencement of its new science, technology, and medicine (STM)
publishing initiative and the accompanying need for more direct influence
over the online presence of its journals, Duke University Press is
removing current content of eighteen of its journals from Project Muse
(see list below) and making these journals available instead through an
electronic subscription package of its own. Nine journals will continue to
be available on Project Muse (see list below), as will back volumes
(2000-2004) for the eighteen withdrawn journals.

"This was a difficult decision for us," explains Duke University Press
Director Steve Cohn. "We have been proud to be a partner of Project Muse
since Johns Hopkins opened its doors to sister nonprofit publishers in
1999, and besides Johns Hopkins University Press we have been the
project's largest and most active participant. However, we are now
embarking on a set of programs we hadn't envisioned five years ago. As we
continue to build our own online projects, and in particular with the
launch of our STM initiative, we realize that it will be critical for us
to control more directly the distribution and online presence of our
journals. We are very happy to keep a subset of our collection in Project
Muse, and we expect to remain an active participant in the program. We
look forward to continuing to build our relationships with libraries,
consortia, and other nonprofit entities."

Recognizing the budget crises with which many academic institutions are
now faced, and to mitigate the impact of the withdrawal of these titles
from Project Muse on these institutions, Duke University Press is pleased
to offer continued electronic access to the eighteen withdrawn titles
through an electronic package that honors whatever academic institutions
paid for Duke University Press titles as part of their 2004 Project Muse
full package subscription. In addition to the eighteen titles no longer
available through Project Muse, the new electronic package will include
the journal Labor: Studies in Working-Class History of the Americas (new
in 2004), as well as the nine titles that will remain available through
Project Muse.

In 2004, Duke University Press journals comprised approximately 16% of the
Project Muse full package, as calculated by such measures as number of
pages, usage statistics, and share of total price. Thus, for 2005-on the
provision of valid documentation (such as a Project Muse invoice)-Duke
University Press will offer to institutional subscribers and consortia its
full electronic package at 16% of what the institution or consortium paid
for its full Project Muse package in 2004, with all discounts (even those
no longer offered by Project Muse in 2005) applied. This is an interim
solution that will remain in place for 2005, until Duke University Press
can finalize more permanent hosting and other arrangements for its own
electronic journals package (scheduled for 2006).

For more information regarding Duke University Press's electronic package
contact edukecollection@dukeupress.edu or visit
www.dukeupress.edu/edukecollection.

Duke University Press journals withdrawn from Project Muse (current
content only, certain back issues remain archived):

American Literature
American Speech
boundary 2
Camera Obscura
differences: A Journal of Feminist Cultural Studies
Ethnohistory
French Historical Studies
Hispanic American Historical Review
History of Political Economy
Journal of Health Politics, Policy and Law
Journal of Medieval and Early Modern Studies
MLQ: Modern Language Quarterly
Poetics Today
Public Culture
Radical History Review
Social Text
South Atlantic Quarterly
Theater

Duke University Press journals with current content still available
through Project Muse:

American Literary Scholarship
Common Knowledge
Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa, and the Middle East
Eighteenth-Century Life
GLQ: A Journal of Lesbian and Gay Studies
Mediterranean Quarterly
Pedagogy: Critical Approaches to Teaching Literature, Language,
  Composition, and Culture
positions: east asia cultures critique
Social Science History

###