News Release from Oxford University Press

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:54:40 +0100
From: "GOODE, Rachel" <rachel.goode@oupjournals.org>

Apologies for cross-posting.  The following press release will be of
interest to readers of this listserv. A copy can also be found online at
http://www3.oup.co.uk/jnls/press/2004/08/18/index.html.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday 18 August 2004

New agreement between Oxford University Press and HighWire Press set to
spearhead the next generation in online journal publishing

Oxford Journals, a Division of Oxford University Press (OUP) announced
today that it had signed an agreement for Stanford University's HighWire
Press to host its entire journals collection, beginning January 2005.
Through this partnership OUP and HighWire aim to develop a leading online
environment in academic publishing.

HighWire Press, which currently hosts the majority of OUP's science,
technology, and medicine (STM) journals, has built a reputation as a
highly respected leader in online hosting and service development.  A
not-for-profit organisation that is a department of Stanford University
Libraries, HighWire Press has been an influential force in providing
world-class electronic hosting technology to scientific and scholarly
publishers, focussing on the core principles of responsible publishing
within the greater research community. By collaborating on OUP's premium
collection of humanities and social science journals, OUP and HighWire
will now be able to offer outstanding online functionality not only to the
STM community but to all specialties across the intellectual spectrum.

"We are excited about expanding our work with HighWire Press," commented
Melinda Kenneway, Marketing Director of Oxford Journals.  "It represents
our commitment to developing new online tools and services that really
help readers, authors and librarians get the most from our journal
content, without losing sight of the importance of keeping our service
affordable. HighWire Press share our passion for accessibility of
information, and for furthering scholarship and education through online
innovation, creating one of the most influential and scholarship-friendly
partnerships in the business, and one that has the academic community's
best interests at its heart."

"In HighWire's nearly 10 years in business, we have continually pushed the
boundaries of electronic publishing by working closely with our publishing
partners to enhance their online presence in technologically-savvy yet
cost-effective ways," noted John Sack, Director of HighWire Press.
"HighWire's mission has always been to support and improve scholarly
communication, and Oxford University Press has been an example of
multi-disciplinary, scholarly publishing at its best.  With the scale,
academic scope, and world-wide reach of its titles, Oxford Journals is an
ideal partner for Stanford's HighWire.  I am delighted that our
relationship has now grown to include disciplines outside of STM, and look
forward to working with OUP to provide new benefits to researchers,
scholars, and societies publishing in the social sciences and humanities."

The partnership between OUP and HighWire Press represents more than just a
business alliance. With the strong common ideals inherent within their
'not-for-profit' statuses, and with both organisations being owned by
world-leading academic institutions, the agreement represents a commitment
to providing the best online access to leading research at a fair price
for all.

For further information please contact:
Rachel Goode
Communications Manager
Oxford Journals
Oxford University Press
Tel: +44 1865 353388
Email: rachel.goode@oupjournals.org

Notes to Editors:

Oxford University Press (OUP) is the world's largest and most
international of university presses. It publishes more than 4,500 new
books a year, has a presence in over fifty countries, and employs some
3,700 people worldwide. It has become familiar to millions through a
diverse publishing programme that includes scholarly works in all academic
disciplines, bibles, music, school and college textbooks, children's
books, materials for teaching English as a foreign language, business
books, dictionaries and reference books, and journals.

Oxford Journals, a Division of OUP, publishes over 180 journals covering a
broad range of subject areas, two-thirds of which are published in
collaboration with learned societies and other international
organisations. The collection contains some of the world's most
prestigious titles, including Nucleic Acids Research, JNCI (Journal of the
National Cancer Institute), Brain, Human Reproduction, English Historical
Review, and the Review of Financial Studies. For further information
please go to http://www.oupjournals.org.

HighWire Press is a division of the Stanford University Libraries,
producing the online versions of high-impact journals and other scholarly
content since 1995. HighWire Press delivers a collection of the finest,
fully searchable research literature in high-quality web environments.
HighWire Press hosts the largest repository of free, full-text,
peer-reviewed articles in the world, with more than 750,000 articles
freely available online. HighWire is recipient of the 2003 ALPSP Award for
"Service to Not-for-Profit Publishing," and is a full supporter of the
Washington DC Principles for Free Access to Science. For further
information, please go to http://www.highwire.org (outside the U.S:
http://intl.highwire.org <http://intl.highwire.org/> ).

END