Cell Press Announces Free Access to Recent Online Archive

*Please excuse the cross-posting*

The following press release was issued today from Cell Press regarding
free access to its recent archive of journals.

Daviess Menefee
Library Relations
Elsevier

PRESS RELEASE
Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
August 18, 2004

Cell Press is pleased to announce that access to the recent online archive
of Cell and the other premier journals of the Cell Press collection will
become freely available beginning in January 2005. The recent archive of
these journals includes content that is 12 months old or older and dating
back to content from 1995. Each month as new issues are published, the old
issues will be added to the freely accessible recent archive.  Free access
to the recent archive will be available on both ScienceDirect
(www.sciencedirect.com) and on the Cell Press journal sites
(www.cellpress.com).

Today's announcement by Cell Press represents an important change that
will make a large part of the Cell Press journal archive freely accessible
to the worldwide biomedical research community.  Cell Press President and
CEO Lynne Herndon commented, "Our main goal is the dissemination of
information and the active support of scientific exchange. In recognition
of the opportunities afforded by electronic publishing, Cell Press is
taking this decision in order to better meet the needs of our unique
author and reader communities.  This opportunity also allows us to
incorporate the notion of an open archive without adopting the
pay-for-publication model that we believe is untested from both an
editorial and financial perspective."

Arie Jongejan, CEO Science & Technology, Elsevier added: "Cell Press
publishes a suite of journals with a unique profile in biomedicine. Its
readers expect science with immediate impact and its authors expect
specialized care and extra speed. We support Cell Press' unique role in
the life sciences and within Elsevier."

Cell Press is committed to improving scientific communication through the
publication of exciting biology research and reviews. Our mission is to
continue to publish and develop journals that deliver the highest possible
intellectual rigor, promote community trust, and are widely disseminated.
To that end, we are pleased to be able to add our new policy to existing
Elsevier initiatives:

--Participation in the HINARI project of the WHO, which distributes journals
  for free to developing countries
  (http://www.healthinternetwork.org/index.php);
--A liberal copyright policy that gives authors broad rights;
--Free advance online publication of selected papers;
--Investment in making the entire back-issue collection available online;
--Online submission and review for the convenience of authors and reviewers;
--Support of the research community via meeting sponsorships

About Cell Press

Cell Press, an imprint of Elsevier, publishes prestigious highly-cited
biomedical research journals.  Each Cell Press journal is a leading source
for research in its field.  The journals include Cell (www.cell.com),
Neuron (www.neuron.org), Immunity (www.immunity.com), Molecular Cell
(www.molecule.org), Developmental Cell (www.developmentalcell.com), Cancer
Cell (www.cancercell.org), Current Biology (www.current-biology.com),
Structure (www.structure.org), Chemistry & Biology (www.chembiol.com) and
the new journal Cell Metabolism (www.cellmetabolism.org) which will launch
in January 2005.  The Cell Metabolism recent archive will become freely
accessible beginning in January 2006.

About Elsevier

Elsevier is a world-leading publisher of scientific, technical and medical
information products and services.  Working in partnership with the global
science and health communities, Elsevier's 6,800 employees in 86 offices
worldwide publish more than 1,800 journals and 2,200 new books per year,
in addition to offering a suite of innovative electronic products, such as
ScienceDirect (http://www.sciencedirect.com/), MD Consult
(http://www.mdconsult.com/), Scopus (http://www.news.scopus.com/),
bibliographic databases, online reference works and subject specific
portals.

Elsevier (http://www.elsevier.com/) is a global company headquartered in
Amsterdam, The Netherlands and has offices worldwide.  The company is part
of Reed Elsevier Group plc (http://www.reedelsevier.com/), a world-leading
publisher and information provider.  Operating in the science and medical,
legal, education and business-to-business sectors, Reed Elsevier provides
high-quality and flexible information solutions to users, with increasing
emphasis on the Internet as a means of delivery.  Reed Elsevier's ticker
symbols are REN (Euronext Amsterdam), REL (London Stock Exchange), RUK and
ENL (New York Stock Exchange).

For more information, please contact:
Lynne Herndon (lherndon@cell.com <mailto:lherndon@cell.com>)
Cell Press President and CEO
(617) 397-2815

Emilie Marcus (emarcus@cell.com <mailto:emarcus@cell.com>)
Cell Press Executive Editor and Editor of Cell
(617) 661-7057