RE: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

In the context of David's point about the value added by publishers when
content is effectively free, there might be other services that could be
attractive as well as peer review. The recent offer by JISC providing
access to the Royal Society of Chemistry's digital archive might provide
an interesting case study http://www.jisc.ac.uk/coll_rscarchive.html

This is licenced access, not open access, to back files rather than
current publications, and the offer applies only to the UK education
community.  However, the options of an annual fee to access the archive on
the RSC site or a small one-off payment to download the archive to a local
institutional site, will provide some clues as to the sort of features
that users may be willing to pay for. I haven't investigated the RSC
interface, but presumably it will offer features that might not be
available locally, such as search, CrossRef linking, etc. The announcement
specifically notes that the RSC's network is 'secure', and this might be a
selling point, although given the price differential I guess many
institutions might think otherwise if this is the only point.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ,  UK
Email: sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel:  +44 (0)23 8059 3256     Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865