Re: Compliance with the COUNTER Code of Practice

Dear Emily, dear Peter, you write below

> First, vendor products, rather than vendors, will be registered as
> COUNTER compliant: this reflects reality. Few vendors will be COUNTER
> compliant for all their online products and services.

to which I would add: "Furthermore, some vendors will only provide COUNTER
statistics for the more costly of several Licensing Options." However, I
recognize that this will be regarded as a slightly "partisan formulation"
that has no chance to get accepted by the Board. And probably it indeed
should not be mentioned in the COUNTER compliance protocols because it
could even encourage just the sort of behaviour that is so clearly counter
to the spirit of Project COUNTER ...

Anyway, may I ask that - in the interest of clarity and equal treatment of
all vendors - in the Register of Vendors resp. Products/Services
designated as COUNTER-compliant, for

	Elsevier-ScienceDirect

you add in parentheses "does not apply to ScienceDirect Web Editions",
just as you did for

	Wiley (applies to Enhanced Access License Only).

Note that for Elsevier the official product name is "ScienceDirect(R) Web
Editions", cf.

http://www.info.sciencedirect.com/licensing_options/web_editions/index.shtml

so it is easy to mistakenly assume that ScienceDirect as the generic term
includes "ScienceDirect Web Editions" also.

The two cases are quite analogous except for the fact that with Wiley, you
even have to pay (10% for an add-on to print, 100% for e-only) for a
"Basic Access License" that comes without statistics (i.e. where
statistics is collected on a routine basis, but is only available to Wiley
staff not to the customer), while Web Editions access is "free with print"
(although it makes little sense to assert that anything comes for free
with this publisher considering the rather high price tags attached to its
products).

Thank you very much in advance,

Bernd-Christoph K�mper, Stuttgart University Library

--
Bernd-Christoph K�mper
Universit�tsbibliothek Stuttgart, Holzgartenstr. 16, 70174 Stuttgart