Re: Joe's OA Clearinghouse

[snip]

>" I would suggest the future goal be how to get open standard for word
>processing texts.  The problem is simple: can you name two people who
>really like Microsoft Word?"
>
>Richard Feinman

FINALLY!  Unless I missed some other wise person making the essential
point that the current high cost of electronic publishing begins with the
use of lame and non-standards-based word processors, we should all welcome
Professor Feinman's comment for hitting the bull's eye on his first try.

For all the words sacrificed at all of the conferences and on all of the
discussion lists on how to advance electronic publishing, very few have
seriously addressed lack of a decent, *free*, open source XML-based word
processor.  If I was in charge of a granting foundation or tax dollars, I
would make the highest priority the creation of such an appplication,
release it on the STM world, sit back and watch the revolution finally
take place.

* Pete Goldie, Ph.D.
* Lightbinders
* 2521 Harrison
* San Francisco, CA  94110
* Internet: pg@lbin.com   http://www.lbin.com
* Voice: 415-206-9867    Fax: 509-356-6235