Re: Journals, society activities and the zero-sum game

Also, no one should forget that, in many countries, direct governmental
subsidies are in place (e.g Scielo). This means that countries like
Brazil, Chile, India, China, Mexico, etc. can offer OA publications at no
cost to authors (or their institutions, or their granting agencies). In
this way, they can aim directly for the best heads in the world,
especially if they invite some of them to be part of their editorial
boards. With OAI-PMH, good harvesters, etc., and the Internet, these
journals are bound to become as visible as those "marketed" by the largest
commercial publishers.

This amounts to a very interesting situation: relatively poor countries
that could not hope having any scientific publishing without public
subsidies suddenly find themselves with a publishing device with a
decisive advantage.  There are also a number of rich countries that use
direct subsidies to publish or support publishing of journals (e.g.
Canada, many European countries, etc.). They too will suddenly find
themselves in possession of a very powerful publishing device if they go
OA.

After all, this is where it all began: in the 18th century, academies
supported publishing covertly (e.g. Royal Society of London for a while)
or openly (e.g. Acad�mie royale des sciences de Paris, as well as many
other academies in Berlin, St-Petersburg, etc.). No one then thought that
scientific publishing was a commercial matter.

Jean-Claude Gu�don