RE: Estimates of Conventional Journals, OA, and Repositories?

Dear Sally and David,

An updated version will be available as soon as I can temporarily catch up
with today's deveopments, which may be a week or so.  I distinguish in my
update between different sorts of "archives".  Use figures are indeed
ambiguous--that's why I give no exact numbers; they might well be
different for citations than they are for downloads. I shall try to see if
I can distinguish them at least in my head.

Sally, I have taken account of the big deals. The long term big deals will
in my model result in the retention of subscriptions by some publishers a
year or two longer than would be the case otherwise. And then will come
the tipping point. There are many things that both commercial and
non-profit publishers could do to help their long term survival, such as
increasing efficiency to the point where prices decrease from year to
year. I can prove it possible: the American Physical Society has done
it--and with open access permitted.

Dr. David Goodman
dgoodman@liu.edu