Re: Self-archiving or third-party archiving? (RE: Authors and OA)

Self-archiving in the narrow sense as described by Rick sounds to me like
"private" archiving. But is there private archiving for "public"
researchers? Self-archiving of a researcher at the university means in
fact archiving on a computer resource provided by the university (at least
in Germany). And the research has also been funded with public grants
(obviously there is private funding as well but let's keep this aside for
a moment).

Thus why not interpreting institutional archiving as "self-archiving"? The
concept behind self-archiving is to have full control over the content and
this is certainly the case with all types of author and
faculty/institutional archiving. How institutions implement this policy
should be left to them. In Bielefeld we will continuously further develop
the current institutional repository to a full eScholarship repository,
hosted by the university library. This will not only guarantee the full
control but also the use of standards (like OAI-PMH) and the library is
willing to support this process actively. At our university the library is
not regarded as third party (on the same level as a publisher) but as
member of the same institution and as trusted repository.

Norbert Lossau

Am 20 Jul 2004 um 8:36 hat Rick Anderson geschrieben: