Re: Authors and OA (RE: Mandating OA around the corner)

Two points.

First, the use of the term "Harnardian OA" is inappropriate.  Stevan
Harnad has always emphasised the need for proper refereed journals to
continue, while their output ("postprints") is archived by authors for
access free of charge, so there is no conflict between his position and
authors' desire to be published in high-quality journals.  Some of us may
doubt whether that model could survive economically in the long term, but
let's not misrepresent Stevan's position.

Second, all of the practical difficulties for authors that Rick mentions
are fully recognised by those who are advocating instituional
repositories, and they are being addressed in detail in various current
projects.  One of these has just been completed for JISC, by a group
co-ordinated by me, and I am also preparing an article for Serials Review
about it (presumably for the same special issue)!  It is acknowledged that
populating the repositories is a key problem, which will only be solved by
making it very easy for authors to submit their papers to them.  That will
be each individual university's job, though in the case of the UK, JISC
may be able to smooth the way.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK.