RE: E-Journal overlays (was: Authors and OA)

Dear Stevan,

Re-examining in the light of your definitions the American Physical
Society overlay journals -- as described in http://publish.aps.org/ -- and
operating just as earlier described by Bob Kelly of the APS in the posting
cited by Ann, they match neither of your classes.  They do not require any
preprint depositing, so they are not in class I.  They are not BOAI-2
alternative OA journals, so they are not in class II.

As articles published in the APS titles are also published in APS regular
journals, these are certainly "green" journals for self-archiving. From
the viewpoint of OA, they are otherwise merely a publisher's packaging
device, though apparently a useful one.

If some wish to discuss them further in other respects than establishing
OA, I do not think it out of place on lists other than Amsci. In the
course of revisiting the archives of the discussion, I noticed that my
concern in 1999, that such titles would prove confusing to users, has
fortunately not materialized.

Dr. David Goodman
dgoodman@liu.edu