From: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu on behalf of Brian Simboli
Sent: Fri 7/16/2004 4:40 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Authors and OA (RE: Mandating OA around the corner)

Couldn't there be a credentialling body for a specific subject that
would give the "seal of approval" for selected articles in institutional
archives? So an article in an institutional repository could be labelled
"this article has received the xyz seal of approval", where xyz is say a
society committee, or an editorial board along traditional lines. The
institutional repositories could be centralized for long-standing and
stable consortia, such that faculty at member institutions in that
consortium could submit articles to the centralized repository. It would
be up to the author to get the seal of approval from xyz. Once they do
so, they would submit the article, marked with that approval, to their
consortial archive, and that would be that in terms of author
involvement. A and I resources and webpages for the approving body (xyz)
could give organized access to all the articles, spread across
institutional repositories across the land, that have that particular seal
of approval.

Brian Simboli
Lehigh University

P.S. apologies if this merely recaps suggestions already broached. If it
does (as I suspect), if anyone knows where the suggestion is
entertained, please let me know. Am trying to come up to speed on such
issues.