Rockefeller University Press Announces Tiered Pricing for 2005

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: July 15, 2004

Contact: Bruce Lyons
The Rockefeller University Press
Bruce.Lyons@rockefeller.edu
(212) 327-8663

The Rockefeller University Press Announces Tiered Pricing for 2005

The Rockefeller University Press, a not-for-profit scientific publisher,
announces a new tiered pricing schedule for 2005 for its three research
publications:  The Journal of Cell Biology (JCB), The Journal of
Experimental Medicine (JEM), and The Journal of General Physiology (JGP).
The three pricing tiers now enable different segments of the academic,
scientific, and corporate communities to have full online access at rates
that are appropriate to their size and anticipated online usage.
Organizations that fall within Tier 1 will pay 5% less than our 2004
online institutional rates.  Organizations that fall within Tiers 2 and 3
will pay a 10% and 20% rate increase, respectively.  There is no separate
tiered pricing for the print journals; all institutions will pay the same
print rates.

During the past eight years, the Rockefeller University Press has been
able to maintain the online subscription rates at levels below or on a par
with the print. Initially, it was unclear how much the costs of online
production, loading, storage, and dissemination would be. The print
editions' subscription rates were raised accordingly to offset the online
development costs. The costs associated with our online publishing program
must now be borne by the online editions.

The Press does not receive funding from the Rockefeller University; it
functions as a self-sustaining operation. Although the Press recognizes
the financial constraints libraries face, these rate increases enable us
to maintain the highest production standards and to implement new features
to meet the scientific community's changing research needs. Most recently,
a free open archive of full-text, searchable PDF articles dating back to
volume 1, issue 1, has been made available for each journal. For more
information on our 2005 tiered pricing, please visit
http://www.rupress.org/tieredpricing05.pdf.

####