Re: Mandating OA around the corner?

I believe that the debate between David Goodman and Stevan Harnad is an
important one, as it exposes a rift among advocates for Open Access.  To
summarize:  Goodman holds that among the many virtues of OA is the
opportunity to reduce the costs borne by libraries; Harnad holds that OA
is a good thing in and of itself and that advocates of OA should not get
distracted by reaching for cost-savings.  Elsewhere I have noted that I
don't agree with Goodman at all, that OA will significantly increase the
cost of research publications, perhaps by a factor of 10.  (And this is
why I support OA:  I am a publisher and see huge commercial opportunities
in OA.)  The Harnad view ignores the fact that research publications have
many constituencies:  to say that published research is for researchers is
like saying that the law is only for lawyers or that doctors should only
practice medicine on themselves (actually, this may not be such a bad
idea).

The real problem with Harnadian OA (author self-archiving, for example) is
that it doesn't work *for authors.* This is the key point.  It is authors
who have a huge stake in the status quo, as the journals they publish in
are the means of determining professional advancement.  In effect, the
academic community has outsourced the credentialling process to the likes
of John Wiley and Reed Elsevier, and the very bright people at Wiley and
Reed would be fools not to have taken advantage of this.  If OA in any
form undermines the credentialling process by weakening the role of the
traditional publishers, authors will suffer.  To my knowledge, a widely
accepted credentialling system that does not require publication in
prominent journals has not yet arisen.

As for the argument that OA will not endanger journal subscriptions, well,
surely many librarians will be disappointed to hear this.  I admire the
"damn the torpedoes" aspect of the self-archiving movement, but it is not
my ship that is likely to get sunk.

What we should expect to see emerging is a new group of services that
enhance self-archiving and institutional archives, services whose aim is
to increase the prominence of an author's work.  Such services will
attract capital, and capital will demand its return.

Joe Esposito