Re: Different kinds of Open Access

"Now, when do we *really* break away from the hardcopy mindset and get rid
of the idea that authors must be cited?  That's the bugaboo that stands in
the way of community-based content creation.

Joe Esposito"

I don't think we can.  Formally or informally, people's livelihoods depend
on their being able to demonstrate what they can do, what they have
achieved and what they might therefore be able to do in the future.  That
means that they will need to be able to demonstrate that a piece of
creative work is *theirs*.

It seems to me that there will always be a place for two separate kinds of
scholarly communication (regardless of medium, and regardless of how the
system is paid for): (a) discussion, debate and collaboration; and (b)
putting quality-controlled work on to permanent record.  Active
researchers will contribute to both, but the latter will continue to be
used to measure the worth of any one individual's contribution.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK