RE: Bethesda and copyright (RE: OA and copyright -- Andy Gass quote in LJ News Wire)

Rick,

I didn't intend to play wordgames. That's for lawyers and I ain't one. I
apologise if that is the impression I gave.

You wrote earlier of an author who publishes with Open Access that "...she
fully abdicates her *exclusive* rights to copy and to distribute the
article. She probably also effectively gives up the *exclusive* right to
display it publicly." (My emphasis.)

I accept that that maybe so. But in an Open Access context it means that
the world benefits from that, as she does herself.

In the traditional context, the usual transfer of copyright to the
publisher means that "She fully abdicates her rights to copy and to
distribute the article. She also gives up the right to display it
publicly." I don't have to spell out who benefits, I guess.

We probably agree which is better, no?

Jan Velterop