RE: OA and copyright -- Andy Gass quote in LJ News Wire

This is a very good point, Rick.  I think many OA advocates do tend to
generalize and state that OA content should be completely accessible and
completely free for use.  However, there is a real need for research
content to be protected from manipulation, which the commercial publishers
keep bringing up as a reason why we should all stick to the traditional
model.

I don't think Gass is throwing copyright out the window.  I think he is
simply trying to point out a reprioritization (is that a word!?) of values
that open access brings up.  Commercial publishing places protecting the
content first and making it accessible second.  Open access switches
those, placing content protection behind the need to make it as accessible
as possible.  I don't think the elimination of copyright follows.

Buddy Pennington
Serials Acquisitions Librarian
Miller Nichols Library
University of Missouri - Kansas City