OA and copyright -- Andy Gass quote in LJ News Wire

I was reading the LJ Academic Op-Ed Wi... oops, I mean the LJ Academic
News Wire this morning, and noticed this from a report on an OA debate
that took place at ALA last month:

"Andy Gass of PLoS responded, 'Genuine open
access articles are those whose prospective digital use is
unlimited,' noting, for example, that those writing for
such journals 'have no interest in suing copy shops.'"

Now, I may not be accurately comprehending Andy Gass's meaning here, but
it sounds to me like he's saying that for an article to be genuinely
Open Access, it shouldn't be subject to copyright.  (I can't think of
any other way to interpret the phrase "prospective digital use is
unlimited.")

So my questions are two:

1.  Is this really what he meant to say?
2.  If so, is his view generally held by OA advocates?

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition
University of Nevada, Reno Libraries