Re: Wellcome Trust report

"> Don't forget that with the short runs most scholarly journals already
> have, the majority of costs do not lie in the manufacturing at all"

I was aware of that.  The scenario I was thinking of - a quite likely
one - was one where the majority of user demand is for the electronic
version, which therefore has to carry the burden of the first-copy
costs and overheads.  Regardless of whether the electronic version was
financed by an Open Access or a Toll Access approach, there might be a
small residual demand for printed copies.  These might be supplied at a
price that covers the manufacturing and distribution costs plus a
modest mark-up, and could be produced economically using a digital
press even if only a dozen or two were needed.  Equally, a CD-ROM
version might be offered on similar terms.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK.