Re: Impact Factor, Open Access & Other Statistics-Based Quality Models

Gillikind@aol.com writes

> However, impact factor based on web usage is a very easy number to
> change and influence. The location for a link to a paper on web page
> alone can change the usage rate (higher placement on a web page has
> a greater chance of being used, especially if the link is not below
> the scrolling area), not to mention single users making multiple
> requests for one paper or the vast variations of spiders/robots that
> could be developed.

Yes, that is why the numbers in the LogEc service are derobotified. We
have our own set of rules for that.  A standardized set of rules would be
desirable.

Cheers,

Thomas Krichel                      mailto:krichel@openlib.org
                                 http://openlib.org/home/krichel