Re: Impact Factor, Open Access & Other Statistics-Based Quality

In addition to the initiatives that Stevan Harnad mentions below, the Open
Society Institute has convened a working group to develop an Open Access
Citation Index.  We've only met once and won't have anything to show for
quite a while.  We're still brainstorming.  If anyone on the list has
ideas or suggestions for us, please feel free to send them to Jean-Claude
Gu�don (jean.claude.guedon [at] umontreal.ca) or Melissa Hagemann
(MHagemann [at] sorosny.org).

The motivation to create the new impact measurement is very much in line
with Michael Leach's original posting in this thread.

Peter Suber
Research Professor of Philosophy, Earlham College
Open Access Project Director, Public Knowledge
Author, SPARC Open Access Newsletter
Editor, Open Access News blog
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/
peter.suber@earlham.edu