Re: Cost of Open Access Journals: Other Observations

Ann,

It seems to me that if librarians want to help, we should work with our
faculty authors and support their authors fees directly, instead of
working with publishers. It will give us a new way to connect with our
faculty in a meaningful fashion, still test the model, and redirect our
funds to OA journals in a supportive way.

The other contribution we can make is to take on the burden of long-term
preservation via our Institutional Repositories, and not leave this
unknown future cost to the publishers.

Paul

Gherman, Paul M
University Librarian