RE: EMBO Journal / Archival access to paid-for content

[Crossposted to liblicense-l, lis-e-journals, erwerb-l. Please excuse
duplicate receipts.]

I still have to report the answer from NPG:

NPG currently is not prepared to offer permanent access to paid-for
content via their own platforms or via HighWire but in case of lapsed
and not renewed subscriptions that have not been replaced by access
via a campuswide site licence, they will honor inherited access rights
of former OUP subscribers to the EMBO journal by providing the files
of 2003 on CD-ROM or DVD to each customer who asks for it.

Please note that for EMBO journal (and EMBO reports) content older than
12 months is automatically becoming open access on both the NPG and
HighWire platforms; in addition, peer-reviewed primary research
articles are also indexed in full text via Pubmed Central with Publinks
being redirected to the full text (or article frontdoor) on the
HighWire platform.

This is the information I received from NPG at the recent 3rd meeting
of the Library Advisory Committee 4 weeks ago in New York. I would have
preferred that NPG had directly answered on liblicense-l, but the
message NPG already sent to liblicense-l (Nature Publishing Group:
The EMBO Journal & EMBO reports, from: "Communication, NPG"
<annette.thomas@nature.com>, sent Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:01:29 EST) just
asked customers to contact NPG individually. This is fine but it does
not answer the policy question.

Best regards,
Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, GASCO Nature Consortium

--
Bernd-Christoph Kaemper, Dipl.-Physiker, Bibl.-Rat
Fachreferent f�r Physik und Koordination elektronischer Ressourcen