Chuck's question

>So why doesn't the non-academic sector account for more subscriptions?

JE:  There is probably a more sophisticated answer to this question than
mine, but perhaps part of the reason is that corporations often use
academic libraries.  How representative is my own experience?  I live a
hundred yards from UCSC and have no university affiliation.  Anyone can
walk into the UCSC library and have unrestricted access to all materials,
online and off (I don't know about physical circulation, but I doubt that
is possible).  You may get checked for a bomb, but you won't get checked
for a student or faculty ID.  Or you can do this "legitimately" by
purchasing a library card (superfluous) for (I think) $50.  I have tested
this (that is, walking in and using resources) in a couple dozen academic
libraries over the years and have never even had anyone ask me a question.
I guess I don't look dangerous.  Most of UCSC's security is focused on
parking.

But I know I am not alone.  I know someone who makes spare change by
looking up things in XXX library for start-up Silicon Valley companies.
A former colleague of mine was the designated researcher at Rice several
years ago (he worked for a consulting firm).  Clearly remote access
(authentication required) would be a different story.

It is because of the wide-open access to libraries (and who would want it
otherwise?) that many publishers don't sell materials to libraries at all.
This is particularly true of so-called business intelligence publications.
If a company has, say, 15 subscribers to a $50,000 research report, the
risk of losing one of those subscribers through cannibalization via
library sales is simply too great.

Joe Esposito