Re: copyright question

Lawrence Lessig's recent book, _Free Culture_, may have the perfect answer
for the question below (pp. 280-1):

""Lexis and Westlaw have had electronic versions of case reports available
to subscribers to their service. Although a Supreme Court opinion is not
copyrighted, and anyone is free to go to the library and read it, Lexis
and Westlaw are also free to charge users for the privilege of gaining
access to the Supreme Court opinion through their respective services."

In a similar way, JSTOR is locking up electronically a number of articles
that are now in the public domain in paper format.

Alas and alack...

Jean-Claude Gu�don