Re: prediction: exponential increase in citations to open access articles

No doubt, readers prefer clickable links to full-text docs.

Readers *who are authors* prefer to read articles that, they guess, are
pertinent to what they are doing.  They are interested in knowing "what
has Avner Friedman written on this", "what has Terence Tao written on
this", and so on.  Those readers *who are authors* would never question
whether to omit looking up an article just because it is not OA - why,
they might even trek to the library and request an interlibrary loan, so
little they think of convenience vis-a-vis intellectual quest.  Moreover,
in mathematics, it is quite common to have mathematicians write to an
author whose article is not OA and say, "I am working on XYZ and would
like to have access to your paper X'Y'Z' - could you please send it to
me"?  It normally comes back as an email attachment.

I sometimes muse that it would be useful for me to try to be a one-day
full-time librarian and, vice versa, it might be useful for librarians to
try to be a one-day full-time journal publisher.  I have the feeling that
sometimes we talk at crossroads.  Best, Elena