Re: How to fund open access journals from available sources

Joseph, I've been thinking much along the same lines the last few days.
One of the advantages of open access is simply, as you say, that it makes
it easier to share & integrate information.

For example, I've been thinking about why one of my library associations
(CLA) might wish to think about open access. An example came to mind, an
article in Feliciter not too long ago about an interesting innovation in
Ontario involving a university library (Sir Wilfrid Laurier) setting up
shop for the library at their new campus in Brantford at the local public
library (with appropriate planning and funding, of course).

I have sent the citation about this article to at least one listserv, and
plan to refer to it in a future article I'm planning for an ELN
newsletter. It occurs to me that people would be much more likely to read
the article if I was able to provide a URL, not just a citation - I know
that when I read listserv articles myself, I'm much more likely to follow
a URL. For that matter, I'd be more likely to read a Feliciter article if
someone sent me a URL in the context of a discussion I found interesting,
even though as a CLA member I have authenticated online access, and also
receive a print copy at home. If Feliciter were open access, a very great
many more people would have an opportunity to learn about this interesting
project; the Canadian librarians who wrote the article would have better
exposure (more impact), and, IMHO, this would deservedly enhance the
status of the Canadian library community as an innovative lot, not to
mention greatly increasing the probabilty that librarians who might be
able to use these ideas. would be able to access them.

If anyone is intrigued about the Feliciter article, the citation is: Wilfrid Laurier University and the Brantford Public Library:�A Unique
Exercise in Joint Service Provision.�Gilham, Virginia, Newman, Wendy,
Bury, Sophie & Madden, Angela.�Feliciter 49:6, 2003.

Caution: the above reflects purely personal opinions which have not been
definitely proven through scientific experiment. For that matter, I
personally reserve the right to adopt a different viewpoint tomorrow..:)

Heather Morrison