Re: How to fund open access journals from available sources

Anne Okerson's reasoning would be correct if preservation and updating of
files were the sole responsibility of journals. However, this needs not be
the case. Libraries have played a crucial preservation role in the print
world; if the Lockss project fulfills its promises - and I feel there is a
very good chance that it will - libraries working in a networked manner
around the Lockss protocol and software will take care of digital
preservation, not journals.

In passing, one of the more frustrating dimension of the Lockss project
has been the DRM issue. With open access journals, this issue is
simplified to a very large extent. This tends to show that open access
digital documents, because they can be preserved in an easier, and/or
more, robust fashion than toll-gated documents, will tend to survive more
as time goes on. And that is another important issue to keep in mind.
Because very few copies existed of many Greek and Latin documents, much
was lost. Whereas Lockss thinks in terms of dozens of institutions to
preserve its documents, Elsevier can only use a few proprietary mirrors.
Striking a deal with one more institution - namely the Dutch Royal Library
- did not enhance this survival value all that much more, especially if we
take history's long view (I am thinking centuries here).

Jean-Claude Gu�don