RE: How to fund open access journals from available sources

This is a very cogent and diplomatic response to David Goodman's
well-intentioned but, I fear, unrealistic proposal. What came to my mind
when I first read David's proposal was a question. What do you suppose
might be the effect on the average academic library if it suddenly had to
replace all or most of its current university funding with voluntary
contributions? How would such a proposal be greeted in the academic
library community?

As I see it, what is needed, if Open Access is to succeed, is a business
model that at a very minimum possesses what we used to call in my grad
school days, "face validity". Which is to say, a model that "looks like it
could work". Most important, that model--or more likely models--needs to
work across the full and diverse range of publications found in today's
scholary publishing environment. There is a significant difference in the
financial underpinnings of journals like Brain Research, scholarly
magazines like Nature, professional society news journals like PS (from
the American Political Science Association), the secondary A&I literature,
and review journals like Choice. One business model does not currently fit
all of these publications, and it is unlikely to do so in the future.

What that new model or models would look like, I don't really know. The
things I am sure of at this point are:

--Relying on voluntary contributions isn't going to do it...and hardly
anybody would like the consequences if it were tried. How many NPR
listeners turn the volume "up" during the annual fund drive? And who is
going to make all those phone calls? And send out all those coffee mugs?

--A business model whose roots are based on research funding practice in
the sciences and medicine is unlikely to work nearly as well in the social
sciences and humanities where those norms are quite different.

As a publisher, I am not at all certain that Open Access is the solution
to the scholarly communication crisis. Count me agnostic at this point.
But I do have a suggestion to offer. If, as I believe, the real challenge
facing us is that of finding a sustainable model for scholarly
communication, doesn't it make sense to invite everyone to the table for
an open-ended dialogue? Not just librarians, not even just librarians and
faculty, but librarians, faculty, and publishers? Consorting with the
enemy? Maybe. Essential? I think so. And it could happen if we want it to,
could it not?

Sincerely,
Irving E. Rockwood
Editor & Publisher