RE: How to fund open access journals from available sources

David Goodman's scheme relies partly on "voluntary payments by libraries,"
and assumes that libraries would be willing to pay a discounted rate
"rather than be free-loaders."

Those familiar with game theory, particularly the dilemma of freeriding
and the logic of collective action, would say that the probability of this
scheme succeeding is rather low. In a nutshell, the assumption that
because all libraries share a collective interest in voluntary payments it
would be in the interest of each individual library to pay for the
collective good is known as the "fallacy of composition." Group and
individual interests are not synonymous. It's a seductive idea, but a
fallacy nonetheless.

As a publisher, we continually face the effects of freeloading. Although
we provide immediate online access to our content for a reasonable fee,
many users go to great lengths to avoid paying us. In fact, we frequently
see libraries exchanging interlibrary loan requests, and even paying each
other, rather than obtain content from us. Obviously, this provides less
money for us to develop content and it pushes up prices, thereby placing a
greater burden on those who do choose to pay. So freeloading damages the
common good. But that doesn't stop libraries from acting in their own
individual self-interests. And, realistically, I wouldn't expect them to
do otherwise.

Dean H. Anderson
Publisher

COR Health