RE: ILL Language

I certainly agree with Lesley that this clause is not appropriate. The
copyright laws are, to my nonlawyerly eyes, clear that the responsibility
for observing copyright in ILL belongs to the recipient. It is also clear
that copies made for commercial entities must have royalty paid--but paid
by the receiver of the copy. It seems to me that the statute by itself
protects the rights of the publisher as fully for electronic as for paper
material.

In practice, it is difficult enough for ILL departments to operate using
the available software without special exceptions. Most, to my knowledge,
responded to the earlier situation where many publishers did not permit
ILL from electronic, by refusing requests from electronic material of all
publishers rather than keep track of the actual requirements for each one.
I would not be suprissed if some still followed this policy.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu