Re: Reply to Fytton Rowland

"> >Specifically, scholarly journal publishing is different from the rest of
> >publishing in being author-driven,"

I think Joe has misunderstood what I mean by that statement (which is not
just my view - it is a commonly held view of scholarly journal
publishing).

Most types of publication appear because the publisher believes someone
wants to read them - that is, the publisher is convinced that there is a
*reader* market out there.  In those cases, it is reasonable to publish
what the market wants, and to charge readers (or their surrogates,
libraries) what the market will bear.  Market economics work, and the
author gets paid - a lot if lots of copies are sold, not much if few do.
If no copies are sold, that author won't get published again.

Scholarly journal articles, on the other hand, are published because
authors want to publish.  A publisher will launch a new title if the case
is made that here is an *author* community out there that is not well
served by current journals.  Every scholarly publisher knows that it is
authors that drive a journal, not readers, and they concerntrate their
efforts on attracting and retaining the best authors. But the authors are
out of the financial loop - they neither get paid nor do they pay (in the
general case, though some titles levy page charges).  The bills are paid
by the subscribers - mostly libraries, but with a non-negligible
proportion of individuals.  Until recently, when they started to form
consortia, the buyers had no real power in the market.  Which is why I say
that the scholarly journals market doesn't work in the way that free
markets are supposed to.

Fytton Rowland.