Re: Publsihers' view/reply to David Prosser

There seems to be a misconception of what marketing amounts to in the
digital age.

First of all, any journal needs to market primarily to authors - if they
aren't aware of your title and its appropriateness for their paper, of
course they won't submit to it.  The wide unawareness of OA journals in
their field is one significant obstacle to their uptake.

Secondly, a journal needs to be made as visible as possible to its
readers. This does not happen by magic.  A great deal of effort is
required to get a journal included in the key abstracting and indexing
databases (which are the preferred route for about half of all journal
use).  Work is required to maximise visibility in search engines (and
OAI).  And links to and from both citations and secondary databases - one
of the most valuable features of online journals, according to numerous
surveys - require considerable work; you'd be amazed how often citations
supplied by authors are not accurate enough to be linkable without
cleaning up.

None of this goes away if the journal is free to readers!

Sally Morris, Chief Executive