Re: Open access and impact factor

Nicely put.

I'm not so sure however about the following assumption:

"Both he and I expect that, assuming equal interest and quality, this will
translate into a wider actual readership, a greater use, and more frequent
citation."

Arguably some science sub-disciplines are so tightknit that (almost)
everyone within them finds /some/ way of getting a paper, reading it, and
then putting it into citations. Open access would make this process
easier, but to a great extent an important research article will make the
rounds regardless whether open access is available.

I recognize that your point may hold, at the margin.

Brian Simboli
Lehigh Univ

==