Re: Open access and impact factor

Rick Anderson's question is interesting even though it demonstrates some
attachment to the concept of an absolute scale of value.

However, let us add the following question : let us assume that two
articles are of equal quality - leaving aside for the moment the question
of how it can be ascertained in the absolute - but one is published in
Nature while the other lands in a ho-hum journal. Wouldn't we expect the
article in Nature to enjoy a higher impact than the other article?

Of course, we would.

If this is correct, this shows that Nature acts as an impact factor
amplifier, independently of the intrinsic quality of the article under
consideration.  That is after all the reason why scientists try so hard to
publish in Nature.

If open access articles, by virtue of their being in open access, start
demonstrating higher impact as a general rule, this amounts to having
discovered an even better impact amplifier than prestigious journals. And
that is precisely both the hope and the claim of many supporters of open
access.

And to return to the initial comment about absolute value, impact factors
are a way of assessing that value. it is not a very accurate way, although
it appears precise. In any case, it should not be confused with the value
itself.

I hope I have not made things too complicated by now... :-)

Best,

Jean-Claude Gu�don