Re: Publishers' view/reply to David Prosser

I will de-lurk for a moment and say that I found Joe Esposito's comments
concerning "unwashed" open access in the form of blogs interesting.  Dan
Chudnov has an interesting thought piece looking at some of the blurred
lines Joe refers to and Dan posits some ideas for applications that would
help manage a researcher's bibliographic process, including blogs
(http://curtis.med.yale.edu/dchud/writings/blm.html).  Dan works at the
Yale Center for Medical Informatics and comes from a library background
(with some time put in on the MIT Dspace project).  It isn't hard to think
of the messy possibilities if libraries helped create tools to help merge
the "washed" and "unwashed" content.  I imagine there are other
ideas/examples of tools out there as well.

Whatever happens in publishing over the next few years, I can't believe
those raised on continuous high speed access, nearly ubiquitous computing,
electronic social networks, and a tradition of sharing and blogging will
settle into traditional and (nearly) monopolistic publishing cycles.  I
see it amongst my 20- and 30-something friends now.  Why lock up something
in a closed access journal article when you can have thousands read it
when you self-publish.  It is only those in more traditional tenure type
systems that worry about getting a good article into a higher impact
journal.  But even for those, it will not be long before the tools are
developed to add the necessary weight of peer-reviewed formality...

Damn, what a fun time to work in libraries :)  (not, of course, to say it
isn't a fun time to work in publishing ;-)

--matt

Matt Wilcox, Epidemiology & Public Health Librarian,
Director of Academic Technology
Yale School of Public Health
matthew.wilcox@yale.edu
voice: 203-785-5680 | fax: 203-785-4998
60 College St., Box 208034, New Haven, CT 06520-8034

***