Re: 2nd Nordic Conference on Scholarly Communication .agendas/Watkinson

Publishers have always been asked to speak at certain conferences. As I
mentioned the Charleston Conference is a good example.

It does however seem to me Steve somehow suggests that the academic
library community is part of the academic community in a way that academic
publishers, whether commercial or not-for-profit, are not part of that
community. Some librarians are academics and some publishers are academic
but most librarians and most publishers are not academics in the sense
that academics in general would recognise. They are intermediaries and
facilitators

I have been working in publishing for over thirty years. I move in
academic circles. I talk daily to academic editors and authors. I am just
off to an international conference in an academic discipline. They think I
represent them as authors in facilitating scholarly communication.  I try
to do so.

The library community represent the academic community as a user
community. The publishing community represents the academic community as
authors.

It is fair enough that Steve and his friends should get together at
Southampton. It is difficult for them to avoid distractions if they are
confronted with the reality of what most academics actually want. However
my complaint about the Nordic Conference is that it is billed as a
conference about scholarly communication in which commercial publishers
have a role because my guess is that they publish for the academic
community the majority of the papers they produce. It is a guess - so
perhaps I should say a lot of the papers. I am not suggesting that the
Nordic Conference is particularly unusual in this respect but it did post
information on the list. Fortunately the moderators of this list have
always taken a broad view of scholarly communication.

Anthony