RE: Clarification on misquotation of figure from OSI Guide

For those who find this discussion rather abstract, the (uncorrected)
transcript of the first evidence session of the UK Science and Technology
Committee into scientific publishing gives us some hard facts:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/uc39
9-i/uc39902.htm

In answer to the question (No. 35) 'what is the cost to you of publishing
an article, and what is the price you charge for that article?' Bob
Campbell tells us that Blackwell receive =A31250 in revenue per article.
That includes all print and online costs, profit to Blackwell (of about
15%), and royalties to societies (where the societies own the journals).
Richard Charkin answers that the figures are 'more of less' the same for
the Nature Publishing Group journals (with the exception of Nature
itself).

David C Prosser PhD
Director, SPARC Europe
E-mail:  david.prosser@bodley.ox.ac.uk