Re: Publishers' view/reply to David Prosser

I fully agree with David G that the problem will be the redistribution of
the costs.  I am beginning to see that, particularly in subject areas
where a large amount of subscription and related income comes from
consumers rather than producers of research, the effect of loading all the
cost on to the producers might be quite damaging to the research
community.

I feel increasingly that we are likely to see a patchy environment, with
OA catching on in some areas where the sums work, and not in others where
they don't.  But in the end the only thing that will drive change is
author behaviour...

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
E-mail:  chief-exec@alpsp.org