ALPSP Seminar: Preserving the knowledge base of science

(please accept my apologies if your receive this message more than once)

ALPSP/FST Seminar
Preserving the Knowledge-Base of Science

17 March 2004   Chair: John Marsden, Director, Linn�an Society
Linn�an Society, Burlington House, Piccadilly, London WIJ 0BF

This afternoon seminar will describe how we currently preserve the
archives of science, focusing on the collections of national libraries and
other great repositories in the UK, and then move on to describe the
challenges of the future: the trend towards retro-digitisation of print,
new developments in the archiving of electronic material, and the
particular problems of archiving huge amounts of data.  Are we taking the
right steps towards creating secure electronic archiving systems that will
preserve the 'knowledge-base of science', in the same way that print (and
to a certain extent microfilm) has done in the past?  What is the role of
the learned society?  What is the role of the publisher?  Does the move
towards Open Access publishing models present an opportunity or a
challenge to the permanent preservation of knowledge?

This seminar will be of interest to technical, editorial and management
staff from learned societies and scholarly publishers, who are concerned
about the preservation of the archives of their own discipline and who
want to understand their future role in achieving this. Librarians and
research scientists will also find the afternoon of value.

[SNIP]

Fees excluding VAT

ALPSP/FST members: �85.00;  Academic: �100.00;  SFEP freelance members:
�135.00

Non-members: �170.00

To register online: http://www.alpsp.org/events/s170304.htm

Debbie Stoddart
Event Marketing Co-ordinator
3 Barnack Road, Stamford, Lincolnshire,PE9 2NA
Tel: +44(0) 1780 757005
Fax:+44(0) 1780 762507
E-mail: marketing@alpsp.org
www.alpsp.org