RE: Publishers' view/reply to David Prosser

Anthony:  Can you tell us what the calculation you mention below comes
from? citation etc?

I don't know an area the UK produces a majority of STM scholarship in,
though there may well be several, It is the minority of scholarship in
most STM areas, and it seems to me that Open Access would mean MORE access
for UK users, i.e. UK libraries by many accounts have relatively small
title lists. I don't know what that means in terms of adequacy, and I
don't know if that has been assessed.

I seem to remember an article in the 1980's that suggested as access to
chemistry journals went down in some UK institutions, output from
researchers went up-oh well..research in this area as you know is an
interesting mix of helpful and not...

What would it cost to improve access to existing literatures in the UK?

Do UK institutions routinely provide access to most of what researchers
need? Has anyone asked the researchers if they get sufficient access to
the world's literatures today? In other words, the question I asked almost
ten years ago -what do you need to do your job ?-is the bottom line,-- not
current library acquisitions or access-- for supporting research. If a
report calls the UK a "net exporter" of STM perhaps that is because the
needs or researchers have not been assessed rather than because the UK
buys access to less STM literatures than it exports?

Chuck Hamaker