RE: Publishers' view/reply to David Prosser

It is absolutely impossible for OA to cost more, in a global sense, if we
aggregate every type of expense.  The same work is being done to produce
the same output.  In fact, it must cost a little less if we remove access
control from the necessary work.

That said, it is true that the costs will be very differently distributed,
and dealing with this may be a significant problem. I think all librarians
are fully aware of the difficulty of changing things in a university
environment.

I suggest that publishers and librarians might want to work together, not
in opposition, in clarifying the issues, in experimenting, and in bringing
about change. I'd like to think, Bernie, that you agree.

David Goodman
Palmer Library Chool of LIU
dgoodman@liu.edu