Tax clause in licensing agreements

March 1, 2004

Dear Liblicense-L List:

I've noticed in recent licensing agreements a clause being added on taxes.
The language is worded that the vendor can pass any tax, either real or
potential, to the academic customer.  The agreements do not specify who is
the originator of the tax and worse, do not provide tax amount.  As an
academic not-for-profit, I expect my institution to be exempt.  My
question to the list is how are you handling this clause?  Are you
ignoring it, crossing it out, or remaining silent?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Liz Lorbeer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~