Re: PLoS

Ann's questions are very fair. Within a university the key to finding the
answers is in the hands of the senior management, who are able to look at
the entire institutional budget. In some cases the answer may be to move
existing funds out of the library journals budget to support authors' open
access publication charges, while in other situations the best solution
may be to leave the funds with the library to support a funding model like
that of PLoS. Likewise, for the funding of institutional repositories, in
many cases this may be a service managed by the library, but it is the
responsibility of each institution to find the solution best suited to its
structure.

On the role of funding agencies, nobody wants research to suffer through
funding of open access payments, and the numbers we have available now -
such as those in the study commissioned by the Wellcome Trust last year -
do not suggest a major impact upon the quantity of research, certainly a
minor negative impact by comparison with the major benefits to research
funding agencies from open access. The impact will vary from one funding
agency to another - for example in the extent to which their grants
already allow for some publication costs - and we need to understand more
about the effect of open access upon different disciplines.

So the answers to Ann's questions will probably be worked out at the
institutional rather than the global level, university by university and
funding agency by funding agency. Those of us working towards open access
are looking at the national and at the global picture, and nothing I have
learned so far makes me think that total open access will be more costly
than the present publication model. We want to work with university
leaders, funding agency leaders and publishers to find the most
cost-effective solutions. My hope is that in making the institutional
calculation those responsible will take a broad rather than a narrow view
of both the costs and the benefits of open access. Too often we select one
figure - such as the cost per article of open access publication charges
or the cost of a subscription to a certain bundle of journals - instead of
looking at the entire cost of making information available, and too often
we concentrate upon costs without relating those costs to benefits.

Fred Friend