Subject: RE: EMBO Journal / Archival access to paid-for content
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:44:05 -0000
From: "GOODE, Rachel" <rachel.goode@oupjournals.org>
To: "'kaemper@ub.uni-stuttgart.de'" <kaemper@ub.uni-stuttgart.de>
CC: "RICHARDSON, Martin" <martin.richardson@oupjournals.org>,"GEDYE,
Richard" <richard.gedye@oupjournals.org>,"ROGERS, James "
<james.rogers@oup.com>

Dear Dr Kaemper,

I have attached a response to your queries regarding archival access to
paid-for content from The EMBO Journal. I have not posted it directly the
the listservs, but please feel free to use this text in any response you
wish to make to them.

If you have any further queries, by all means contact me directly again,

With regards,

Rachel Goode
Communications Manager
Journals Division
Oxford University Press

Response:

The transfer of a journal from one publisher to another is complex, and it
is recognised across the industry that during transition, much care should
be taken to ensure uninterrupted access to the journal content for
subscribers. For this reason OUP support the guidelines produced by ALPSP
('When a society journal changes publisher', www.alpsp.org/socjourn1.pdf).

The issue of archival access to paid-for content ('perpetual access') in
respect of The EMBO Journal was highlighted during the hand-over
discussions between OUP and NPG.

OUP cannot comment on the current rights license for The EMBO Journal with
NPG, but can clarify matters regarding the OUP rights license and our
policies when handling the transfer of journals from one publisher to
another.

OUP's general policy is to provide perpetual access to all institutional
subscribers whenever we have the rights to do so. This policy was in place
for The EMBO Journal during and before 2003, giving lapsed institutional
subscribers online archival access to 'paid-for content'.

However we can only guarantee this for the time that we publish a journal.
If that journal changes publisher, as did The EMBO Journal at the end of
2003, then our right to grant perpetual access to past subscribers is
transferred to the new publisher.

When OUP acquires a new journal our policy is to use all reasonable
efforts to continue to provide perpetual access to material published
online by the previous publisher.