RE: BioMedCentral Revised Institutional Membership Model

I am somewhat perplexed by Jan's comment that "we approach every member
and explain and so far they have accepted our policy".  At UAB we are
currently in our second year of a membership agreement.  The first year we
joined independently, and the second year as part of the CONBLS
(Consortium of Southern Biomedical Libraries) consortium.  In both years
our fees were calculated based on the size of the institution.  At no
point in our discussions with our BMC reps was the issue raised of a
different method of calculating the membership cost in succeeding years
(and I cannot find any such information on the BMC website).  The
assumption among the CONBLS members has been that the same pricing model
would continue in future years.

It would be helpful if Jan could provide a list of those institutions that
have moved from the size of institution model to the number of papers
published model.

T. Scott Plutchak
Editor, Journal of the Medical Library Association

Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences
University of Alabama at Birmingham
tscott@uab.edu