RE: Cost of Open Access

Joe,

I am not sure that OA will reduce the quantity of published research (not
the quantity of research, but the abolition of 'salami-slicing'
practices). I just believe that on the scale of likelihood, input-paid OA
is more likely to do that than the traditional model. I may be proven
wrong.

I do believe that input-paid OA has the potential to save money to
academia as a whole. Simply because there will be more of an element of
competition and a functioning market than what the subscription model
offers. Even if scholars do not pay out of their own pocket, but out of
their research grant. There never was *any* appreciable price awareness on
the part of authors in the traditional system.

I also believe that peer-review is useful and remains useful in a
post-Gutenberg era (or post-Koster, depending on who one believes invented
movable print). Peer-review is by no means flawless, but it is a great
help in separating the lentils from the stones. It is fair to say that it
may be more meaningful in some disciplines than in others, but there are
very few that I know of who would like to see it abolished altogether and
abolition of peer-review is not part of the OA agenda. Given the pressure
some publishers are putting on Editors-in-Chief to accept more rather than
fewer papers, I very much doubt the link you suppose with the high
production cost in the hardcopy world.

Best,

Jan Velterop

[SNIP]